The Hammam ritual is a Moroccan tradition that is as popular today as it has been for centuries. Men and women attend their local public Hammam, separately, once or twice a week to cleanse themselves and enjoy a sociable gossip. The ritual begins with a shower, followed by a lengthy steam to open the pores. Many Moroccans then apply the traditional liquid Beldi Black Soap themselves or it may be applied by an assistant, or Tellak.
The whole body is then doused in warm water and vigorously exfoliated from head to toe with a Kessa glove. An astonishing amount of dead skin peels away to reveal silky soft gleaming skin beneath. To complete the experience a Rhassoul clay hair mask may be applied and Argan Oil is lightly massaged over the skin. You are encouraged to relax for 20 minutes afterwards with a Moroccan mint tea... heavenly!
Following a regular cleansing & exfoliation ritual using natural products has real health benefits
- Improves skin elasticity & encourages collagen production
- Improves circulation and aids lymphatic drainage (key for detoxifying the system)
- Opens pores, draws out impurities & fights acne
- Deeply cleanses and hydrates the skin
- Boosts the immune system, soothes aching muscles and aids a restful sleep
Recreate the experience of a traditional Moroccan Hammam cleanse & exfoliation treatment at home with our 6 easy steps!
1. Wet skin in shower or bath. Allowing steam to build up will encourage the pores to fully open and for the soap to be most effective.
2. Step out of the water and massage the Black Bar soap thoroughly over the whole body. Take your time and enjoy this process, ideally massaging the soap over the skin for 5 minutes. Take a moment to breathe in its aromatherapeutic scent and practice some mindful mediation.
3. Using the exfoliating mitt (traditionally a Kessa glove made from plant-based fibre) massage the skin using firm circular movements, working from your extremities inwards towards the heart centre. The more pressure you apply the more exfoliation will occur.
4. Step back into the water and rinse off well.
5. Finish with a burst of cold water to help close pores.
6. Rub yourself dry and apply a body oil or light cream.
For the full Moroccan experience, relax afterwards for 20 minutes with a fresh mint tea! Use once or twice a week as required.
Do not use on broken or inflamed skin. Do not perform this ritual during pregnancy
Our Black Bar soap is made from the purest ingredients, and is naturally antiseptic, antibacterial and deeply skin cleansing.
It is scented using only essential oils, and smells wonderfully warm & spicy with delicate floral and citrus notes. Suitably unisex, this soap can also be used as a shaving soap.
The soap comes in a re-usable tin and is supplied with a high quality exfoliating mitt. Shop now!